La Laguna, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain.
NEW: Maps to the University
La Laguna is Tenerife's second most important city. It is the old Capital of the Island (until 1723) and situated just inland from Santa Cruz in the Aguere Valley amid a beautiful countryside. It is also the cultural and religious Capital, due to the fact that it lodges the San Fernando University and the Bishop's Palace. The whole city is full of outstanding architectural monuments, palaces and traditional houses of the XVII and XVIII centuries.
Among its religious buildings the most outstanding are the Cathedral, the Santo Domingo Church and the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción - this latter one has a fine Mudejár carved wooden ceiling and an exceptional Baroque wooden pulpit from the 18th century.One can also find the Church of the Holy Christ and the San Miguel Chapel.
History and art in La Laguna are to be found in the Casa Ossuna Museum, the Friends of the Country Economic Society Museum, the Concepción Church's Museum and the Cathedral's Museum. La Laguna's Municipal boundaries extend to the towns of Tejina and Valle Guerra - very rich agricultural areas - as well as Bajamar and Punta del Hidalgo, which have become tourist resorts with first class hotels, natural swimming pools and extraordinary landscapes. Areas such as La Cuesta and Taco, where part of the industries of the Island have been situated in the last few years, are also part of La Laguna.